Saturday, July 12, 2014

Why is Hamas rocketing Israel now?

Opinion: Hamas is laboring under an illusion: Iran will drop Hamas like a hot potato, but if they don't, we could end up in a real world war.


As I  understand the report (cited below), Iran is now supplying better, newer rockets to Hamas, which has stepped up the rocked attacks on Israel, and plans to continue to do so.

 It seems to me that Hamas figures Iran will provide them the wherewithal to actually destroy Israel's military and overrun the country. This will never happen, of course, with the USA and other Western powers hovering in the arena.

It seems like wishful thinking on the part of Hamas, but Hamas apparently would not mind if the USA and Iran ended up nose-to nose, in an all out conflict.

It seems doubtful to me that Iran really wants to go that far. Iran loves to thwart the USA, but if things really do get down to fisticuffs with the USA, I am betting that Iran will wipe their lips and say, "Who, me?"

But Hamas does not seem to realize that they will be left holding the bag, or in this case, the empty rocket facilities.

I predict that unless Hamas backs off, Israel will invade, will destroy all the bunkers they can find, and possibly even take over Gaza permanently. Perhaps that would be a blessing.

Maybe so, maybe not, but faced with the real possibility that Israel could be wiped off the map, the USA would not stand by idly, whether Democrats or Republicans were in office. Makes no difference. We will go to war in that case.

But I am just an ignoramus. Does anyone with real knowledge of the area care to weigh in on this? Correct me if you think appropriate. After all, I am just an arm-chair commentator who has never been to the Mideast.

And then, of course, my source is Israeli. I am still searching for a lucid answer from Hamas as to the "why" of the rocketing.

See the Israeli source: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3178411/posts



1 comment:

  1. Here are some suggestions by external sources: I have found no explanations written or endorsed by Hamas yet. http://www.businessinsider.com/hamas-benefits-from-escalation-in-gaza-2014-7

    ReplyDelete

Please comment: